Saturday, October 8, 2016

It's Relative

By now you know that I love the old hymns - the messages they convey about God and His truth in Jesus Christ. This week I was mulling over the words to one of my favorites, which the choir that I play for is singing in the morning. The chorus of "God Leads Us Along" says

"Some through the waters, some through the flood,
Some through the fire, but all through the blood.
Some through great sorrow, but God gives a song
In the night season and all the day long."

A dear friend lost her daughter this week. This vibrant, godly 36-year old mother of 6-under-the-age-of-9, a lover of Christ, and a deacon's wife, quite unexpectedly went to be with Jesus in her sleep on Thursday night or early Friday morning. It wasn't unexpected with God, but it has left a grieving husband, parents, children, and church family in Louisville.

Wow. Of all the difficulties we might face in this "vale of tears," I can imagine none more deep than this kind of dark waters. Losing a child? I would rather have a dozen illnesses than to lose my daughter or son, or grandchild, or to have them suffer great pain or loss. My trials seems nothing compared to theirs. I find myself asking God - please don't ever call me to go through that unimaginable pain and sorrow. And yet I know that He gives grace for every trial, as He is giving in mine. O Lord, be ever near them. Carry them as You carry me.

And so tonight, as I lay my head down on my pillow, my prayer is not for myself but for the friends I love who are grieving deeply. I bow to His sovereignty in all things, and simply say, "Thank-you for life, for breath, and each new day you may give me."

Being held,

Joy

2 comments:

  1. This breaks my heart. Dr. Blakeman was my dentist up until he retired. My heart and prayers go out to them and the entire family in this time of terrible loss and suffering. You are so right, Joy..."It's relative". 😥

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure puts thing's I am dealing with in perspective. One of the ways God uses such a staggering loss on the lives of his people. Linda S.

    ReplyDelete